Friday 25 March 2011

The most shared Diary in history....Ann Frank

Yesterday I decided to go see a play at the theatre.  The play was called “The diary of Ann Frank” and it was showing at The Broadway Theatre.  I had seen the film before (the one made in 1954), so I sort of knew what I was in for, but I have not been to the theatre for such a long time.

Just watching the billboard and poster up on the theatre made me wanted to watch the play.  Well I must say I was not disappointed.  I watched the play around 2:00 pm amongst a large group of school kids, so I thought “Oh no, it’s a bit of bad luck, they are all going to misbehave and mess up my enjoyment”, but after a while though, the children were all drawn to the play because the actors there were astounding.

I often wondered how those actors could zone out and be in a world of their own while I watched them intently.  It’s like they did even notice I was there.  They were all so professional.   

The play has plenty of hidden messages and meanings, so pay attention.  Not only are you reliving what Ann Frank had lived through, but you are watching the adaption of the play and hidden messages seeping through, which causes you to think deeply after watching the play.

One message that stuck in my mind was when Ann Frank had accidently spilt milk on Mrs Van Dann coat.  Of course Mrs Van is livid and an argument ensues.  Ann Frank runs to her room in tears only for her father to console her, but then he warns Ann that all people make mistakes, but the difference between the good and the bad people is that the good people learn from them.

Now although at first this is a message for Ann Frank, do you not wonder who else Ann’s father is referring too?  Makes you think doesn’t it.

The claustrophobia of the Jewish family and their guests hiding out above a factory causes tensions to arise time and time again.  You can feel your emotions become swayed as you see anger and frustration burst forth from one person to the next, but above all, I just cannot help thinking that any family be it Jewish or not, would behave excatly the same.  Come to think of it, not much is mentioned about how Jewish the family are, you just do not notice it, except for one major scene.  Even though the propaganda of those times played up on how different the Jews were from everyone else.

Another thing I would like to mention is that some characters actually seem to play up to you, rather than just act alone.  Ann Frank on the stage is a mischievous girl no matter what way you look at it, she cannot help herself and not only does she flirt with Peter Wessel (the 16 year old son of Mr and Mrs Van), but she also flirts with you time and time again.  This then makes my poor heart sink in despair as I realise what is to come, but I do not want to spoil the play for you.  Please go see the play for yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment